A vestige of the Roman world, the village of Vacqueyras (Vaqueiras in Provençal) takes its name from the Latin “Vallea Quadreria” which means “the Valley of Stones” characteristic of its stony soils and steep hillsides.
It was in 1937 with the creation of the INAO (National Institute of Origin and Quality) that the Village was recognized as a Côtes du Rhône appellation area. Following the commitment of its winegrowers, the village became part of the generic classification of “Côtes du Rhône Villages” in 1955. Then, with its name of commune in 1967. Finally, Vacqueyras acquired its letters of nobility by reaching the rank of Cru des Côtes du Rhône on August 15, 1990 for its three colors.