Rasteau’s vineyards first became known during the Middle Ages under the orders of the church. The wine produced there was so appreciated that the bishops of Vaison-la-Romaine decided to make it their main supplier.
It was only natural that at the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century that Rasteau once again became one of the most important villages in the Rhone Valley. In 1935, the winegrowers returned to history and once again produced the Vin Doux Naturel de Rasteau, which was recognized in 1944 as the official appellation of the Rhone Valley.
In the dynamics, the red (dry) wines will be recognized as “Village” appellation in 1966. The crowning achievement of the winegrowers’ work will take place in 2010, with the promotion of the appellation to the rank of Cru des Côtes du Rhône.