Formerly “Castro Novo” which means “New Fortified Village”, the enclave of Chateauneuf-du-Pâpe is a wine village that has become famous for its beauty but above all for the quality of its wines. Particularly appreciated by the Popes of Avignon, they decided to set up a summer residence there and to give the status of “Wine of the Pope” to the nectars of the village which will then be exported all over the world.
At the end of the 19th century, during the restructuring of the vineyard following the phyloxera crisis, the final name of the village was voted: Chateauneuf-Du-Pape. From that moment on, the winegrowers formed the first wine syndicate in 1894 which became official in 1923. Finally, in 1936, the appellation will become one of the first AOC of France in the Côtés d’Arbois, Tavel, Cognac, Cassis, and Monbazillac.